Monday, May 17, 2010

Vacation!

It was quite a spur-of-the-moment decision, but my husband packed me off to Southern California for the weekend to visit my brother. It has been fun, although the weather is not cooperating and I caught a cold (maybe the stress of the week catching up?)...but it has been good for all parties involved. Me for getting away from being a Mom for a couple days, my husband for learning to appreciate all that I do, and the kiddos for getting some quality Daddy time.

I was a little nervous leaving Bethany, but I knew my husband could do just fine with her. She is less likely to eat for him than for me (they are both stubborn...such a great combo!), so I made it clear I could care less if she just ate cereal all weekend! It sounds like all is going well.

Bless her heart, too - at one point there were some gluten-free pretzels out that she had been eating when we were initially suspecting allergies. My husband didn't realize she couldn't eat them now - they have soy in them. So he was trying to give her some and she was asking him to call Mommy and ask if it was ok because she said they had soy in them! She gets it on some level!

She did have some wheat a couple of days ago. She inadvertently got some cheezits at a birthday party (who doesn't like Cheezits?) I had to take them away, and I think she was feeling bad about it. Poor thing...that's probably why she was so adamant with my husband that she couldn't eat the pretzels! :-) I know things like this are going to happen a lot, and while I'm not worried about the exposure (wheat is a super low allergen on her blood test), I do feel bad that she notices she can't have other kids' foods.

The birthday party was interesting as well...we had talked about making cupcakes for her to take to the party, but that morning I was short on time so I thought I'd surprise her and make these brownies from a mix that we had found at the store. When I told her about it on the way to the party, she was MAD at me! Oh man, I got an earful! So we stopped by the store on the way and got some ice cream - pink, of course - and that made up for it. The brownies were actually good so I ate them. :-) But that will teach me - cupcakes for parties from now on, check! She didn't want to be different. She also really wanted the juice the other kids were having, not her own...I think she is starting to protest the different-ness her allergies are creating.

Well, back to my vacation. One more week until our doctor's appointment and hopefully we will have some more answers!

2 comments:

  1. you say at the end that hopefully you'll have some answers from the doc...what are your questions? it sounds as though you're (collective "you" - all parties concerned) doing just fine! you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen -
    I had no idea someone gave her some cheez-its, i am so sorry. It must be so hard for her to see other kids eating food she can't have. Next time only vegetable/fruit trays.

    Hopefully the doc will be able to give you some insight as to what she may outgrow and what you may be able to relax if some of them aren't very severe allergies.

    ReplyDelete