Monday, May 10, 2010

Blessings

Despite all of this, I feel I have so much to be thankful for:

1. Great friends and family, who provide wonderful thoughts, input, advice & support. I am one of those people that needs to interact with others when I am stressed, and I am so grateful to have a wonderful support group.
2. A wonderful husband - after being exhausted Saturday night after the party and Bethany not eating anything but cereal and cake all day, I had a bit of a breakdown. My husband tucked me into bed with a good book, a bowl of popcorn, and a glass of wine...and proceeded to take care of everything--dishes, kids, etc.
3. As selfish as it sounds, everybody else's allergies! Today it is SO much easier with all of the products out there, cookbooks, website, internet support groups, etc. to deal with this. I can't imagine trying to do this pre-internet and pre-allergy days.
4. She isn't allergic to dairy. She might just be able to survive on cereal and fruit alone...maybe?
5. She isn't allergic to chocolate. If only I could find chocolate-flavored meat we might be in good shape!
6. Her preschool is AWESOME with food allergies!
7. Did I mention my friends? One sent me links to food cookbooks, another left some on my doorstep. One brought flowers, another brought homemade almond butter. Others have called and offered support and advice. Bethany's playgroup agreed to meet at a park instead of my house to give me a little break, and all are bringing their own snacks (that burden is usually on the hostess, which is me this week). Another gave me an uplifting mother's day card. I am so blessed with the people in my life.
8. My Mom, who taught me how to cook, who I can call when I'm upset and get support, who called a family friend who has a teenager with multiple allergies and a husband with celiac, who is looking up recipes for me, and gave me the self-confidence that will get me through this.
9. My church group that is rallying around us with prayers.
10. Bacon! Who doesn't like bacon? Even picky preschoolers will eat bacon!

11. BUT...the most important blessing: MY DAUGHTER IS BACK! Every day she is changing literally before my eyes. Her behavior is a thousand times better! She has more energy - she used to be able to sit in front of the TV all day, easily (if I let her, which I didn't usually!). She still is a TV addict, but she bounces around and gets bored quickly. She is talkative, laughing, silly, dancing, etc. etc. I didn't realize how much I was losing that girl until I saw her bound back. She even LOOKS healthier to me, but maybe that is just wishful thinking?? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment