Monday, May 24, 2010

Other Changes

I'm having to adjust my parenting lately. I have mentioned before that Bethany has had HUGE behavior changes...but that's not it! She is doing some things that most kids do around the ages of 2-3 and she never did. She never ran off from us in a public place. She never cared about picking her own clothes out. She does now!

She gave me quite a scare the other day in Target - she ran off and then got lost for a long enough time that we both were quite freaked out and I was 2 seconds away from trying to find a staff person to sound the alarm. Then that same evening we attempted our first restaurant visit (taking her own food with us) and while my husband was walking the girls around with all of their pent-up energy, she ran out of the restaurant! It feels kind of odd having to teach a 4 year old about not running away from her parents! It was never in her nature to do this before, so have never been conscientious about keeping tabs on her before now.

She also has developed a big opinion about what clothes she wants to wear. I know most people deal with this battle daily, and at a much younger age, but I was blissfully dressing my child in whatever I wanted. And...I was the one dressing her! It used to be a daily battle just to get her to put on her clothes by herself. Now she wants to pick them out and put them on without a lick of help. And lately all she wants to wear are dresses. She owned all of ONE dress when this started! And, of course, it is still 40 degrees in the morning when she wants to put on her sundress.

I know some might think this could just be normal developmental changes, but I have a hard time believing all of these behaviors started during the same month...who knows?

1 comment:

  1. you know, i remember going to target with her the day after thanksgiving, of all days, when it was a zoo, and she was so calm and easy to have with us. I think I even commented on it. Who would have thought that was related to her diet?

    ReplyDelete