Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coconut & My First Public Complaint

So...one question I had with the new coconut allergy was if palm oil is included in that, and how is coconut oil processed & is it safe? I didn't find any answers to those questions online, mostly because people that have a coconut allergy have a topical allergy. Which never occurred to me. Obviously she hasn't had any skin reactions, so should I not worry or is it one of those things you want to avoid just so she doesn't have constant exposure to it? Because honestly, it is in EVERYTHING. Soaps, toothpaste, lotions, etc. Here is a list of coconut product derivatives:

1,2 Octanediol
2 Phenoxyethanol
Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate
Capryl Glycol
Caprylic Acid
Caprylic Glycol
Caprylic/Capric
Caprylyl Glycol
Ceteareth-20
Cetearyl Alcohol
Cetearyl Glucoside
Ceteth-20 Phosphate
Cetyl Alcohol
Cetyl Esters
Cocamide MEA
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Cococaprylate/Caprate
Cocomide DEA
Coconut Oil
Disodium Cocamphodiprop
Emusifying Wax
Glyceryl Caprylate
Hexyl Laurate
Isopropyl Myristate
Laureth-3
Olefin Sulfonate
Organic Sodium Cocoate
PEG - 7 Glyceryl Cocoate
PEG -100
Phenoxyethanol
Polysorbate 20
Sodium Cocoate
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
Sucrose Stearate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinat
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Stearate
Sorbitan Stearate
Stearyl Alcohol
Vegetable Cetearyl Glucos
Vegetable Glycerine

Yeah, good luck memorizing that one! I looked at all the soaps, shampoos, toothpastes, etc. that we use and they ALL have some sort of coconut derivative! Basically you have to find a list of products that is known to NOT have coconut in it and go with that. So I'll call the allergist with my above questions. Sheesh, I sure hope I don't have to cut out topicals.

My other item is I am going to have to post a complaint in our neighborhood newsletter. Somebody has been smearing some unknown substance on our jungle gyms at our neighborhood park. From what I can tell, it is chocolate icing...but a lot of icing has eggs. What if she touched it and had a severe reaction? I also know people in our neighborhood put out whole peanuts for the wildlife. Which means animals drag peanut shells all over the place. Luckily we don't have to worry about that but I have a friend who is moving into our neighborhood who does! People just need to be more aware of the consequences to actions like this. Unfortunately, there is still a population out there that thinks this food allergy stuff is all bogus and we are neurotic mothers getting our panties in a twist over nothing. Maybe I'll send them the hospital bill if we ever have to go to the ER! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment