Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Mind Games Allergies Can Play on You

So...after the wheat-breaded fishsticks: 24 hours later, HUGE melt-down. But it occurred to me that fish is another major allergen for many people. So no wheat or fishsticks for 3 days, then we tried some bread. 24 hours later, HUGE melt-down. Is it a mere coincidence or does wheat contribute to her behavior issues? (by the way, I still have to make homemade bread...all commercial breads have soy!)

So we tried noodles. She doesn't want them (they're different). She doesn't want anymore of that homemade bread. She doesn't want any different cereals. FINALLY we get her to eat some tortillas. So far, so good. We'll see what 24 hours shows us.

Everything I've tried making her has been rejected. I'm getting frustrated, but continue to hope that her picky eating has been because eating has made her feel bad in the past .

I also started giving her tree nuts again, since the allergist said she had no signs of being allergic to them (we didn't test them, just from anecdotal evidence). So I worry about if adding tree nuts to her diet at the same time as wheat might be an issue - if she starts having behavioral issues again do I blame the nuts or the wheat?

And then I noticed one of the nut containers said they might be roasted in cottonseed oil. That's a seed, but the allergist said oils are ok. But then I read some oils are ok, some aren't - it depends on if the seed was cold or hot pressed when processing the oil. Huh?? Really??

And then she complained a while back of her mouth itching after playing with some balloons. And after she had a bandaid she had a rather mad-looking rashy area underneath. So now do I suspect latex?

Seriously, your mind can start going overboard until steam comes out of your ears when you deal with this stuff! It is like a "what-if?" game that your mind continuously plays with itself. And then every little behavioral hiccup she has sets my brain off again ("Was it the wheat? Is she just tired?")...some days I wish we could just go back to the allergist and have her tested for ALL major allergens. Just poke her with EVERYTHING. And then I ran into a friend that said the skin tests aren't always 100% reliable - people can have false positives. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment